So the dining room is finally coming together.
Don't get me wrong, there is still a lot that needs to be done, but at least one more thing is done.
I have been slaving over this for the past week and I am excited to finally share it with all of you.
So last week I came across this guy on my favorite place to find furniture ready to be remade, Craigslist!
I wanted to find a large round table for the room but could only find ones measuring 42 or 44 inches.
Then I found this table which is 56" and can fit 6 comfortably.
Plus I love the pedestal and the hefty-ness of the whole thing.
When we went to go get it, the man who was selling it watched me struggle with Adam to carry
this heavy thing up from their basement without ever offering to help...I guess that is Craigslist for you.
My mom thought I should keep it the way it was,
but I was not in love with the pattern on top...
...definitely not in love...
Anyways, to start I sanded down the whole thing.
I used this amazing tool that my father-in-law left at my house to help me out with the sanding.
I was definitely in love with the Dremel after this.
No way could I have sanded it all by hand!
So I used the Dremel sanding attachment and sanded the entire thing, going in small circles as I went.
After the whole thing was sanded, the table had a dull finish, rather than the shiny look it had before.
Once it was sanded down I washed the entire thing off to get rid off all the dirt and dust.
Then I started painting, applying several thin coats of paint.
I let each coat dry thoroughly before putting on the next coat.
Off course I used a nice creamy white. :)
After the paint was somewhat dry, I started sanding in certain areas to create a antique look.
The perfect time to do this is when the paint is tacky to the touch.
Not wet enough to come off on your finger but not completely dry.
I usually try to sand in areas that would typically get worn down with years of use.
Usually I focus on edges that stick out, like you can see in the photo above.
On the top of this table were two half circle grooves on each side of the table.
I sanded in these grooves as well to help make this detail "pop".
After distressing the table to the point that I liked I let the table dry for a few days
just to let it get completely dry.
Next I applied 3 coats of Polycrylic to help protect the table and give it a nice sheen.
In between each coat, I used a very fine sandpaper and sanded the entire table.
And here is the finished table:
I am loving it :)
And I am going tonight to buy the chairs that I am going to put with it!
I am nervous about this because my husband and mom think I am crazy with my choice,
but I think they are going to look great!
At least I hope : /.
Let me know what you think about my new table.
And if you want, let me know what kind of chairs you think I should put with the table. :)
It will be interesting to see if the chairs I get resemble anything like what you guys think I should get.
I just posted about the chairs I purchased to go with this table here.
Check it out. :)
Also, I linked this table up to the January DIY Project Party over a the DIY Club.
And to Funky Junk's weekly Saturday Night Special link party.
Go on over and check out all of the creativeness everyone is up to. :)